Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wars and rumors of wars

Being a news "addict", I was listening to the news on the drive from Magdalena to Socorro. It struck me that the news I was hearing fell in line with Matthew 24 starting in verse 4; And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
What I heard on the news was this; wars in Libya and the middle east and Africa, Athens and many rumors such as Saudi Arabia. Earthquakes in New Zealand and Cocoa shortages and oil shortages just to name a few. I looked at the Albuquerque Journal, their headlines were much less upsetting. They were concerned that baseball fans were getting beer, but that basketball fans were left out. Going to Drudge, the wars and rumors of wars were there, along with excitement about oil prices. I was very tempted to read the article about the 400lb woman who attacked someone for taking her cookie. I refrained. There was also a report that the obesity problem has spread to over half our pets. I hope the first lady is on top of that one, so to speak.

I find that our hearts can grow cold all too easily. We do need some humor and light-hearted stories to keep from going as daffy as Gaddafi. So, I return once again to the gospel. Jesus stated in this same set of verses quoted above, that this gospel must be preached to all the earth. That brings a lightness to my heart, a ray of sunshine in a time of great darkness. There is a plan for good and the Lord is waiting until all who will receive Him, do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment